Assess, Explore, Act
Where are you on your career path? Have you reached a crossroads in your career journey? Or maybe you’re uncertain of where to begin?
The Career and Employment Services (CES) team is here for you throughout your journey. We offer non-judgmental support for wherever you are right now… and help you get to what’s next by applying our own model of career development — a cycle of growth where you assess, explore, and act.
Your career journey is uniquely your own. From the time you start at Puget Sound, you will engage in activities and learning that will help you:
- Identify or clarify your interests, skills, and values.
- Reflect on what you’ve learned about environments where you thrive.
- Consider options and contemplate what comes next.
- Connect with people who inspire you to do your best work.
Each of these experiences will be important as you consider career possibilities.
The Assess | Explore | Act model of career development provides a framework to help you navigate to the next stage of your journey!
Define your interests and goals…
Discover possibilities that fit with your interests and goals…
- Use LinkedIn’s alumni tool and Logger Link to find Logger alums and learn about their career paths. See any who spark your interest? Reach out to ask for an informational interview!
- Read about different types of jobs in Onet and the Occupational Outlook Handbook Start by taking assessments in PathwayU that will recommend jobs that fit your personality.
- Try out some things. Do an internship, part-time job, project, or leadership role in a student organization to see what types of work tasks you enjoy and do well.
With a renewed understanding of where you are and what you want, you’re ready to do something with that knowledge…
- Tell the story of your skills and experiences through your resume as well as your LinkedIn and Handshake profiles.
- Apply for jobs and internships that align with your skills and interests. Use Handshake to launch your search.
- Meet with a career advisor to prepare for interviews and navigate job offers.
This cycle of growth and reevaluation can be repeated again and again throughout your career journey.
Want to chat about specific ways to accomplish each of these stages to best meet your goals? Log in to Handshake and schedule an appointment with a CES career advisor!