Form I9 FAQ

Before you are authorized to begin work as a university employee, you must complete the Federal I-9 form and submit it to Career and Employment Services (CES). Your employment may be terminated if CES does not receive this form. The form I-9 can be completed in person at CES – Howarth 101 – during open business hours.

Once you begin your on-campus job, you may update your W-4 withholding and enroll in direct deposit online. If you do not complete a W-4 form, the Payroll Office will use standard default deductions. (Campus earnings are considered taxable income.)

Working on campus? Don’t forget to pack your documents!

**Bring an original document of identification (passport, Social Security card, birth certificate, or other acceptable document) to complete your required employment forms.**

The I-9 form is the Employment Eligibility Verification Form required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to verify identity and eligibility to work. All employees must complete this form and provide valid original documents. The student staff member must complete the I-9 form before they begin working. More information about the I-9 form is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website at

Here are some FAQ’s about the I-9 process…..

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has provided lists (A, B, and C) of the various acceptable documents. You may present any one document from List A for examination, but the most commonly used is a U.S. Passport. If you do not have a passport (or any other document from list A) you will need to present two documents, one each from Lists B and C. The most commonly used documents in this scenario are, from List B, a Driver’s License plus from List C, a Social Security Card or a Birth Certificate.

List A documents establish both identity and eligibility for employment. List B documents establish only identity, and List C documents establish only employment eligibility–so one each from List B and List C is required if a List A document is not presented.

Photocopies are not acceptable. Original documents must be presented. A certified copy of a birth certificate is acceptable.

No. Expired documents are not acceptable. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services wants to ensure that documents presented for use in the I-9 form process are valid and reliably establish both identity and employment authorization status. Expired documents may not demonstrate a valid status and are prone to tampering and fraudulent use. Note that if a document does not contain an expiration date, such as a Social Security card, it is considered to be unexpired.

No. Laminating Social Security cards makes them invalid. Metal or plastic reproductions are also not acceptable.

The I-9 form may only be filled out in BLUE or BLACK ink. Pencils and other colors of ink are not accepted.

Cross out the error on the I-9 form and then initial and date next to it. Alternatively, you may shred the form and start over.

Yes. Each employer must collect an I-9 from each new employee. If you haven’t worked on campus previously, you will need to complete an I-9 when you become a staff member at the University of Puget Sound.

Student staff members must complete the I-9 form before they begin working.

CES welcomes all questions. You may contact us via email at, phone at 253.879.3161, or by visiting our office in Howarth Hall, room 101. More information about the I-9 form is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website at